Advertisement

Tablatone frame drums from Remo

topic posted Wed, February 2, 2011 - 5:31 AM by  Bill
Share/Save/Bookmark
Check out the Tablatone frame drums here: www.youtube.com/watch

Also comes with a more traditional looing Skyndeep head (www.remo.com/portal/prod...0skin.html).
posted by:
Bill
North Carolina
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Tablatone frame drums from Remo

Wed, February 2, 2011 - 7:55 AM
    WOOH! That looks really cool (the video)! Can you give another link to the Remo sight for the drum? The link it not working. Thanks!
    • Re: Tablatone frame drums from Remo

Wed, February 2, 2011 - 8:03 AM
      Saw those at NAMM too. Pretty cool, but couldn't figure out how to get good tone out of it. Don't know how well they are going catch on. There are actually several new drums from Remo this year, very exciting. Stay tuned, we will be adding several of them in the coming months to Global Musical Instruments stock!!

Wed, February 2, 2011 - 8:32 AM
      Remo product videos are sooo annoying.

How can anybody make a video for a musical instrument then have it muted in the background while some voiceover stops you actually hearing it?

Wed, February 2, 2011 - 10:23 AM
        Maybe they're aiming at buyers who like to spend more time talking about the instrument rather than actually playing it :-D

Wed, February 2, 2011 - 10:55 AM
          "couldn't figure out how to get good tone out of it" I'm not surprised.

One step forwards, two steps backwards. Remo.

Wed, February 2, 2011 - 1:14 PM
            I suppose they are very nice drums, but I can't figure out what they're trying to be. They don't sound Middle- Eastern, with thatt imitation graphite patch I thought they'd be trying to sound Indian, but they don't and they aren't soft enough to sound Native American. That was a nice little "drum circle" jam they had going though. I think they'd be perfect for Mickey Hart or Arthur Hull. This doesn't really interest me very much.

Thu, February 3, 2011 - 1:20 AM
              "I think they'd be perfect for Mickey Hart or Arthur Hull. This doesn't really interest me very much."

Which, the drums, or Mickey and Arthur? Or all of the aforementioned? <big grin>

I dunno, I have been experimenting with putting both size Falam Slam patches on all sorts of drums for over a decade. My late 80's "original model Alexandrian" with 4 lugs ended up with a Renaissance head & a small patch in the center, and it sounded very different. Dry. Very very dry. Only find a use for that one in recording sessions. Works really well with Zarb techniques. I like playing Kanjira but never got around to finding one so I faked it with a cheap 9 inch tambourine with no jingles and a patch in the middle. Although they do get the nod for their new Riq, Daf and Kanjira models. Not at all bad, really. So we have another step backwards in the near future, and then they're going to come out with some more cool stuff again... I hope.
              • Unsu...

Thu, February 3, 2011 - 7:25 AM
                I know this is not about ME percussion, but I saw a bodhran with one of those Indian tabla dots on it. The guy said it helped give the drum a lower tone.

Thu, February 3, 2011 - 7:56 AM
                  Any kind of padding, dampening, gels, etc. will take away some of the resonance from the head. For the drummer holding the drum it gives the timber of the drum a drier more appealing sound. To the audience it severely deadens the sound often to the point of it sounding like a thuddy box. Placing the dampening in the center will allow the edges of the head to reverberate more but gives a dead area in the center. This type of dampening works for classical Indian music, but doesn't really give the proper feel for other types of music (except maybe for the kick drum on late 60's-early 80's heavy rock music).

Even on a good day, a bodhran sounds like a cardboard box.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Thu, February 3, 2011 - 10:10 AM
                    "Even on a good day, a bodhran sounds like a cardboard box. "

Funny enough, I was caught out without my bodhran on a campout once, and grabbed a stick and cardboard lantern box to play along.

Playing a cardboard box as a bodhran requires some... adjustments. :)
                    • Unsu...

Thu, February 3, 2011 - 12:38 PM
                      All the bodhran players in the OKC area hate me because I show up to the sessions with my cajon (with an adjustable snare in it). All the other musicians like it, though ;)

Wed, February 2, 2011 - 8:10 PM
            "One step forwards, two steps backwards. Remo. "

I'll tell them how to make some money:

a) Make some heads for the standard size drums made by other people

b) Sell in Europe

c) ...

Thu, February 3, 2011 - 12:53 AM
              I agree to that,
              They┬┤d have a huge market here in europe.

I once asked for a skyndeep here in Madrid and they gave me a "high above the clouds price" and told me I had to wait 5 months!!

Sat, February 5, 2011 - 4:16 PM
    I have to be honest and say that I do not find these drums to be interesting at all. The sound is not very nice to me and it certainly doesn't sound like a tabla.

Some of the other drums that they are releasing alongside this one are nice, for example, the Uzbek Doyra and the Dayereh! Very nice to see Remo making those, even if they aren't the best examples. :)

Sat, February 5, 2011 - 4:37 PM
      I do like Remo. I use their heads on my drum kits and I absolutely adore the SkynDeep derbakki heads that they created a few years ago. They do "miss" a lot of times, but at least they are a creative company and are always trying new stuff. Sometimes they "hit" too.

They really need somebody with taste to design their colors though. On more than one occasion one very humorous and creative member of tribe has referred to their shell finishes as looking like "clown vomit"! LOL

Sat, February 5, 2011 - 4:54 PM
        oh yes...some of their doumbeks are absolutely horrible looking. Really, really bad. Even if they sound good, I don't think I would want one just because of how ugly they are! It would really bother me. For the same price and better sound I'd just get a lower end GEF.

Their new riq is also not very attractive, either. But their new frame drums and the daf look very nice.

Sun, February 6, 2011 - 1:02 PM
          I suggested a few simpler (and better looking IMHO) designs for these drums after the first one came out, and Souhail was still involved, but unfortunately things at Remo happen only with a varying amount of complexity in the corporate structure... And lots of meetings. Lots and lots of meetings.

Mon, February 7, 2011 - 1:02 AM
          "For the same price and better sound I'd just get a lower end GEF"

That's ok if you just want to look at the drum. A 'lower end GeF' usually means one that won't sound very good ;-)

Mon, February 7, 2011 - 8:07 AM
            I was referring to the lower end GeFs that are about $200, which, in my opinion, sound similar to the Remo doumbeks, although slightly better. :P They cost about the same as the Remo doumbeks...maybe the Remos are a little more costly...and made out of wood waste!

Mon, February 7, 2011 - 10:17 AM
              I know what Wade is saying, so let me clarify: GEF produces some very fine instruments (always has and still does), but the "quality control" has become far more liberal in recent years (especially in instruments exported to the west). If you can actually go there and hand select drums (as Wade and others do), very fine instruments can be had. If you just order then you can wind up with poorly made light castings that sound and act like a thin spun aluminum drum. I have been with very fine musicians that have had a shipment of their "signature" drums delivered and they had to be sent back because they were so below standard. We are talking about the supposed top of the line drums. They don't sell those to their native customers.

The good thing about the Remo "doumbeks" is that they are very consistent. They may not be the very best sounding drum you've ever played, but they are good and all of them are equally that good. I've owned a few of them and wound up selling each and every one of them (only because I like my other derbakkis much better). I am not ashamed of selling them because I put a very good drum in the hands of the purchaser and I was able to sell it to them at far below what they would have paid elsewhere because of the deal that I got. Yes, I think the price is way too high for what they are, but if you live in a place that doesn't have a place to go and select from drums, this may be the safest way to get a good serviceable drum. Or you could contact Wade and see what he has in stock.

Recent topics in "Middle Eastern Percussion"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Meinl Sombati Jeffrey 11 July 20, 2014
Greetings from Hungary :) Tomi 2 July 13, 2014
Facebook group? Ignatius 6 July 1, 2014
Travelling to Istambul... what to check? Ganeshillo 4 June 30, 2014